- Heat oven to 200C. Line a large roasting tray or dish with baking paper for an easy clean up.
- Leaving the skins on, cut the banana shallots in half lengthways, slice 1cm off the top of the garlic bulbs and quarter red onions.
- Wash and pat chicken dry, stuff with lemon halves and place on prepared roasting tray. Arrange shallots, garlic and onions (cut-side-up) around the chicken. Drizzle chicken, shallots, garlic and onions with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes until chicken is just cooked through and alliums are soft and caramelised.
- Remove chicken from roasting tray and pour any juices from the cooked chicken and roasting tray into a pot. Cover chicken with tinfoil and a tea towel and leave to rest for 10-15 minutes while you make the gravy.
- Add chicken stock and jam to the pot with the roasted chicken juices. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Stir in cornflour mixture and continue simmering, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes until thickened to a gravy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Carve roast chicken and serve with roasted caramelised alliums, gravy and broccoli.
Recipe from eatwell.co.nz